GIS3015

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sharing Top 10

This week lab project required that I generate a Top 10 List and then share the location based list on three different map formats - Google Earth, ArcMap, and ArcGIS Online.

As stated in the objective of this Lab assignment, the first thing I did was to search for and locate internal data and external data from ArcMap. The major internal data search for and use in this project is the World Streets base map. I also created and external data - my Top 10 List. I created an Excel file of the "Top 10 List of Engineer Program in Florida Colleges" with the 500 miles radius of zip code 32514. I categorized the list by Name, Rank, Zip Code, URL, and Address of the schools. I created all the external data in the Excel file using information gathered from the U.S. Department of Education website and respective Colleges and Universities web portal on my list.

After creating the Excel file of the Top 10 List, I created a geocoded map layer - a shape file of the 10 locations on my list. I went ahead to publicly share my map via ArcGIS Online after designing in ArcMap.  A KML (kmz) file was created in order to share the Top 10 List map publicly via Google Earth.

I really enjoy this lab because I learn how to create external data, integrate it into a map. I also learn how to share map on three different formats but most importantly, I learn about the characteristics of each format.
Some format are Functional, and can be easily shared while others offer limited flexibility and control due in part to licensing and propriety factors.

Here is the link to my Top 10 List of Engineering Programs shared via ArcGIS Online:

http://arcg.is/20MMOQW

No comments:

Post a Comment